PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Travellers to Trinidad and Tobago will not require a negative COVID-19 test to enter the twin-island republic from Friday.
Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh announced at Wednesday’s COVID-19 briefing that he had been authorized by Acting Prime Minister Colm Imbert to announce that a negative PCR and/or antigen test will be no longer required from July 1st.
The Ministry of Tourism, Culture and the Arts, in a statement, welcomed the removal of the COVID-19 testing requirement, saying it is expected to result in quicker processing times at ports of entry and contribute greatly to the recovery of the tourism sector.
It said it “looks forward to welcoming visitors, returning nationals and members of the diaspora to Trinidad and Tobago as it continues to strengthen the tourism sector and facilitate the environment necessary for an exciting and unforgettable visitor experience”.
Meantime, Minister Deyalsingh said the Cabinet has agreed to proclaim monkeypox a dangerous infectious disease, under Section 103 of the Public Health Ordinance, with immediate effect.
It also approved an order to allow special measures to be taken in light of the emergency of the spread of the monkeypox under Section 6(1) of the Quarantine Act, Chap 28:05, allowing authorities to quarantine persons entering Trinidad and Tobago with foreign travel history who are either a suspected or confirmed case of the virus.
“The Cabinet note and the decision under these two pieces of legislation also allow the minister to designate a facility specifically for the treatment and isolation of persons with monkeypox. We have taken a decision that the Caura facility (Caura Hospital) will be designated as the facility to isolate and treat any suspected or confirmed case of monkeypox,” the Health Minister said.
“We urge people to pay attention to the global issues surrounding monkeypox.”