GEORGE TOWN, Cayman Islands - The borders of the Cayman Islands will remain officially closed, at least until Sept. 1.
This was disclosed by Tourism Minister Moses Kirkconnell last month. According to Kirkconnell, no cruise ships will be landing here before then, despite cruise lines advertising sailings to the territory in August.
Kirkconnell said the Cabinet has affirmed the new timeline for the border closure, which was originally due to expire on May 31. Last month, Premier Alden McLaughlin said Cabinet would be considering a revised reopening date for the borders.
Concerning cruise lines advertising port calls in August, the minister said the “Cabinet has passed a policy that the port will not be open to cruise lines until September 1, 2020,” but added that there was no guarantee the port would be re-opened by then.
Kirkconnell, who is also deputy premier, said it may be some time before those ships touch local shores.
“I don’t think that we’re going to see cruise vessels back in Grand Cayman (for the) second, third quarter or fourth quarter, to be quite honest,” he said.