We continue to make it easier for you to access our programs and benefits. Our website offers a convenient way to apply for benefits online.
You can apply online for:
- Retirement or Spouse's Benefits – You must be at least 61 years and 9 months in age and want your benefits to start in no more than four months. Apply at ssa.gov/retireonline.
- DisabilityBenefits – You can use our online application, available at ssa.gov/disabilityonline, to apply for disability benefits if you:
- Are age 18 or older;
- Are not currently receiving benefits on your own Social Security record;
- Are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last at least 12 months or result in death; and
- Have not been denied disability benefits in the last 60 days. If your application was recently denied, our online appeal application, is a starting point to request a review of the determination we made. Please visit ssa.gov/benefits/disability/appeal.html.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)– SSI is a federal income program funded by general tax revenues, and helps people who have little or no income and who are age 65 or older, blind, or have disabilities. If you meet certain requirements, you may apply online at ssa.gov/benefits/ssi. If you are not able to apply online, call your local Social Security office to apply.
- Medicare – Medicare is a federal health insurance program for people age 65 or older, some people younger than 65 who have disabilities, and people with end-stage renal disease. If you are not already receiving Social Security benefits, you should apply for Medicare three months before turning age 65 at ssa.gov/benefits/medicare.
- Extra Help with Medicare Prescription Drug Costs –People who need assistance with the cost of medications can apply for Extra Help at ssa.gov/i1020.