PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – The Trinidad and Tobago government last month announced a series of new measures aimed at curbing the spread of the novel coronavirus, which had pushed the island into the category of “community spread”.
The government also explained it is examining the possibility of introducing legislation that would allow for persons not wearing masks to be fined.
Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley told an Aug. 15 news conference that the measures had become necessary.
He said the government is also warning about the possibility of a second lockdown of the country, if the new measures that go into effect from Aug. 17, for a 28-day period, do not result in a curtailment of the spread of the virus.
“The overall aim of these measures are to reduce public gatherings,” Rowley explained.
“The economy will remain open, people will be required to work as necessary,” adding “all of these actions are aimed at reducing the gathering of people in places where they would normally be exposed to gathering.”
Health authorities here reported 552 infections had occurred in T&T through Aug. 16, including 11 deaths.