THE VALLEY, Anguilla – Anguilla has implemented new measures aimed curbing the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, virtually locking down the British Overseas territory as other Caribbean Community (CARICOM) countries registered cases of the virus over the past 24 hours.
A joint statement issued by the Governor, Dileeni Daniel-Selvaratnam, and Premier Dr. Ellis Webster. Noted that that there has been speculation about community spread of the virus on the island.
“It is of critical importance that we as the responsible authorities establish the facts to ensure appropriate measures and a proportionate response,” they said in the statement, acknowledging that up until April 20, the island had recorded 30 confirmed cases with one active imported case.
But they said that one day later, there were three additional cases including a woman who is symptomatic.
The authorities said that in an effort to keep Anguilla safe, the Executive Council has decided that for the next 14 days in the first instance, all persons other than those providing essential services “will be required to stay home.
“You are permitted to leave your residence only to seek medical care, including vaccinations, to buy food or fuel,” the statement said, urging residents to act responsibly.
In additional all non-essential places will be closed, all public gatherings are prohibited, including the closure of churches, schools, night clubs and bars.
Restaurants and other food establishments are restricted to take out service only and the authorities said they are re-introducing the mandatory social distancing measures and that mask wearing is recommended where physical distancing is not possible.
The island’s ports have been closed to all incoming passengers with outgoing movements permitted.
There is also a restriction on visitors to residential facilities like elderly care homes and the prisons.
Trinidad and Tobago continued to record high numbers of new cases with the Ministry of Health reporting that 167 new cases for the period April 19-21.
It said that included in the new figures are 23 workers working on the offshore oil platforms. The island was forced to implement new measures to deal with the increased cases on Wednesday, after the island recorded 171 cases in a 24-hour period.
According to the Ministry of Health, the total number of active cases is 1,161 with 9,383 persons having tested positive since the first case was diagnosed in March last year.
There are 300 persons in state quarantine facilities and 880 in home isolation.
In Barbados, there were nine new COVID-19 positive cases – four males and five females – from the 365 tests carried out by the Best-dos Santos Public Health Laboratory over the past 48 hours.
The authorities said 12 people recovered from the viral illness. There are currently 84 persons in isolation.
Barbados’ confirmed cases of COVID-19 have moved to 3,806 (1,853 females and 1,953 males), and there have been 3,716 recoveries. Forty-four persons have died from the virus.