JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 62

Miami FC Drops Match against Rochester Rhinos


ImageMiami FC suffered a tough 2-1 loss on the road to the Carolina Railhawks at WakeMed Park on Aug. 18, handing the Blues their first loss this month.

The Blues have two more games remaining in their road trip before returning home on Sept. 11 to take on the Montreal Impact at Lockhart Stadium.

"Tonight we had two lapses that cost us. Again we were good with possession, but that unfortunately doesn’t give us results," said Head Coach Daryl Shore.

The Blues came out strong and connecting on a number of their passes as they sought to set the tempo early on in the match against the hosting Railhawks.

The Miami FC backline played a strong first half, breaking up a number of developing Carolina opportunities in the opening 45 minutes of play.

Chuckwudi “Chucky” Chijindu almost helped the Blues pick up the lead near the midway point of the half when he delivered a through ball to Danilo Martins deep in Railhawks territory, but the play was called offsides by the official.

In stoppage time Miami FC once again came close to taking the lead when Christian Gomez blasted a free kick directly on goal, but the shot was knocked over the cross bar by Carolina goalkeeper Nic Platter.

After going into the second half scoreless, the Blues came out aggressively and their efforts were rewarded early when Paulo Jr. knocked in a rebound after Platter made a terrific save on a shot by Danilo from the edge of the box. Paulo Jr.’s shot bounced off the post and then off the back of Platter’s head before bouncing into the back of the net, giving Miami FC a 1-0 lead in the 49th minute.

The Railhawks quickly regrouped and began to apply pressure on the Blues defense with a number of runs down either flank, but the Miami FC remained firm and managed to keep Carolina off the scoreboard.

Allan Russell fired a shot from just outside the corner of the box in the 63rd minute, but it went wide of the far post and ended the quality Carolina opportunity.

But in the 71st minute, the Railhawks broke through when Greg Shields delivered a perfect cross inside the box to Gregory Richardson, who executed a diving header to tie the game 1-1.

Just three minutes later, Carolina struck again when Etienne Barbara one-timed a ball past Patterson to give the Railhawks a late 2-1 lead in the 74th minute.

Just moments later, the Blues almost evened the score when Paulo Jr. took a shot on goal, but the ball wringed off the post and kept Miami FC trailing.

Just minutes later, Martin Nunez picked up an opportunity when he had a clear shot at the goal from an angle inside the box, but his shot sailed high of the crossbar.