Here’s how to make it, according to Althea Brown of Metemgee:
* 1 pk dried Chow Mein noodles
* 3 tbsp. oil
* 1½ lbs. boneless chicken thighs
* small onion (thinly sliced)
* 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables or 1 carrot (julienne)
* ½ head of broccoli (speared)
* 1 cup petite green beans (cut into two-inch pieces)
* 1 cup fresh or canned sweet corn
* ½ head of cauliflower (speared)
* ⅓ green cabbage (thinly shredded)
* 5 green onions (shallot, scallions) finely chopped
TO SEASON WITH THE CHICKEN
* 1 tablespoon dried thyme
* 1 tablespoon cassareep or soy sauce
* 3 cloves of garlic (chopped)
* 1 tsp. brown sugar
* 1 tsp. salt
* ¼ tsp.ground black pepper
* 1 tsp. mustard
* You can also add 1 tbsp. ketchup (if you like)
Follow the instructions on the packet to cook the noodles, then drain and set aside.
Cut chicken into one-inch chunks. Then season with thyme, cassareep or soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, salt, mustard, black pepper and ketchup (if you’re using that).
Set aside and let marinade for at least five minutes, but the longer the better.
Then, in a skillet large enough for the noodles, warm oil on medium heat. Add onions and cook until onions are translucent and soft. Then increase heat to high. Next, add seasoned chicken and sauté until chicken is fully cooked, stirring once or twice to ensure it doesn’t burn.
Add vegetables and cook for another five minutes, constantly turning for even cooking. Add the peppers and cook for three minutes.
Add the drained noodles to cooked chicken and vegetables and toss together.
Finally, add the cabbage and green onions to the noodles and toss together. Remove from heat and serve hot.