How to prepare the Stewed Chicken:
- 1 4-lb. Chicken cut into small pieces
- 1 Clove garlic
- 1 tsp. Thyme, salt, pepper
- 1 tiny sliver of ginger
- 2 tbsps. Chopped onions
- 1 tbsp. Chopped green or red sweet pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Cumin
- 1 tsp. Brown sugar
- 1 small ripe tomato
- Dime size red recado
- Vinegar or lime juice
- Wash chicken pieces
- Season with, vinegar or lime juice, red recado, salt, pepper, thyme, cumin, cilantro.
- Heat 2 tbsps. Cooking oil, add brown sugar and watch carefully to avoid burning. Let sugar cook until completely melted and turns dark brown.
- Add clove of garlic that has been smashed and chopped as fine as possible.
- Add ginger and fry, stirring, remove ginger when it gets brown.
- Add chicken and brown properly on all sides.
- Add remaining seasoning from chicken, chopped onions, sweet pepper and tomato and add about a half cup of water.
- Reduce heat to medium and cover pot. Let simmer, adding water so that pot is never completely dry.
- Cook for about 1 hour until chicken is very tender.
How to prepare the Rice & Beans:
- 1 lb. red kidney beans
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 lbs. rice
- Black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 2 plugs garlic (crushed)
- 1 dried coconut (grated) (to give 1 cup milk)
- 6-8 cups water
- Collect all ingredients
- Soak beans for 4-6 hours
- Boil beans with garlic, onion, until tender.
- Season soften beans with black pepper, thyme & salt
- Add coconut milk. Stir & taste. Let boil
- Clean /Wash rice
- Add rice to seasoned beans. Stir, then cover. Cook until water is absorbed or rice is tender. If necessary add more water gradually and continue cooking until rice is tender