This tea is not made from any kind of vegetation or spice but from freshly caught sprat fish. The beverage that is made from freshly caught sprat fish is called Fish Tea.
It is usually made and given to the convalescing to help open the appetite and as a first meal to help build physical strength and stamina.
It is also given to babies as an introductory meal to the family foods and spices.
Below is the recipe for Fish Tea.
2 lb small sprat fish (fish head can be substituted)
3 quarts. water
3 sprigs thyme
4 stalks scallion
2 medium potatoes (cubed)
2 carrots (cubed)
3 medium Choyote (Jamaican product cubed)
1 green scotch bonnet pepper
Salt to taste
8 pimento seeds
- Scale and Wash fish
- Put half of the scallion, thyme, pepper , pimento and salt in water to boil.
- Add potatoes, carrots and choyote.
- Cook until vegetables are tender. Remove vegetables from the pot.
- Add fish and cook until fish flesh comes off the bone.
- Pour fish contents through a strainer and remove all bones.
- Place the potatoes, carrots and Choyote back into to the strained liquid .
- Add the rest of thyme, scallion, pepper, and pimento and black pepper.
- Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.