One of the most challenging dishes for me was one the simplest to make - banana fritters.
Here’s my recipe:
- 3 whole bananas (ripe, starting to turn brown)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups eggs ( beaten)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (or white)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup coconut oil (for frying)
Peel bananas and place into a large mixing bowl. With a fork, smash bananas until they start to get somewhat runny.
Add sugar, vanilla, milk, salt and flour. Mix until the “batter” just barely runs off of the spoon.
Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Once the oil is hot enough, use a tablespoon to drop the batter in. Fry until brown.
Flip fritter over and cook the opposite side.
The fritters should be a medium-brown color. Do not burn. Drain onto paper towels and serve warm or cold.