Corn Dough: 3-4 cups - corn flour (Maseca brand is best)
Corn Dough: 1/4-1/2 - cup water
Corn Dough: 3-4 Tablespoons - recado rojo
Corn Dough: 1/2 - cup lard or corn oil
Corn Dough: 1 teaspoon baking powder
Corn Dough: 1 teaspoon salt
Filling: Smoked Fish pulled apart and all bones sorted out
Cortido: 2 + cups distilled white vinegar
Cortido: 1 Onion diced
Cortido: 1 Habanero diced
Cortido: Salt to taste
Oil for frying, Vegetable or Coconut Oil
- 1. Sift together dry ingredients for the corn dough: corn flour, baking powder and salt. Mix in recado and water slowly mixing by hand.
- 2. Let dough rest for 10-15 minutes, and then form/roll into golf-ball sized balls by hand.
- 3. Make sure you filling is ready. The filling can be beans, cheese, meat, but today, we are making fish panades! Season smoked fish to taste.
- 4. Using a tortilla press, press the dough balls into flat disks. It's easiest if you use plastic on either side of the tortilla press. (A ziplock bag cut in half works well).
- 5. Place a spoonful of the filling in the center of each round dough disk. Fold dough over and press edges together with fingertips.
- 6. Once a few of the raw panades are forms, start heating your oil. You want enough oil so that the panades can be covered.
7.When the oil is hot enough, working in batches, place each panada in the oil. It will sizzle immediately.
Recipe courtesy of: http://belizenewspost.com/empanades/