I will share the recipe for one of my favorites – to-to. As far as I know, “to-to” is a Jamaican creation that is usually served after the Sunday meal with homemade ice cream. It’s a delicious dessert.
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 lb. margarine or butter
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 egg
- Grated rind of 1/2 a lime
- 1 tbsp. liquid burnt sugar or browning.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add lime rind and grated coconut and mix thoroughly.
- Sift in all the dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, cinnamon salt and nutmeg).
- Mix in a beaten egg, vanilla and browning. Add coconut milk in slowly. Mix until the batter becomes slightly stiff.
- Bake in a greased pan at 350F for half hour. Cut into squares or slices and serve with homemade ice cream.
News Americas Media: http://www.newsamericasnow.com/