“Residents should take note of how the city is taking a proactive approach and do the same,” Pete Gomez, assistant fire chief and emergency manager said in a recent release. “Preparation is key to preventing panic.”
Among the steps residents are advised to take in preparation for hurricane season are:
- Trim trees on private property; call 311 for trees on public property
- Gather important documents for safe-keeping
- Check insurance policies for adequate coverage
- Consider flood insurance (policy becomes effective 30 days from purchase)
- Meet neighbors (you may need to help each other in an emergency)
- Create or review your family plan, including contact information.