Our employees will never threaten you for information or promise a benefit in exchange for personal information or money. Real Social Security employees also will not:
- Tell you that your Social Security number has been suspended.
- Contact you to demand an immediate payment.
- Ask you for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
- Require a specific means of debt repayment, like a prepaid debit card, a retail gift card, or cash.
- Demand that you pay a Social Security debt without the ability to appeal the amount you owe.
- Promise a Social Security benefit approval, or increase, in exchange for information or money.
If you receive a suspicious call or are unsure of the identity of someone who claims to be from Social Security:
- Hang up.
- Do not give money or personal information.
- Report the scam to our Office of the Inspector General at oig.ssa.gov.