If youâ€™re facing life with a disability and donâ€™t know where to start, we encourage you to visit our website at www.socialsecurity.gov/disabilityssi. You can apply for benefits on our website; itâ€™s the most convenient way. Additionally, you can contact us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) or visit your local office if you wish to apply for disability benefits. When applying for benefits, you should be prepared to answer a number of questions including:
When your conditions became disabling:
- Dates you last worked;
- The names, addresses, phone numbers, and dates of visits to your doctors;
- The names of medications that you take and medical tests youâ€™ve had; and
In addition, if you plan on applying for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) disability payments, for people with low income who havenâ€™t paid enough in Social Security taxes to be covered, we will ask you questions about:
- Your current living arrangement, including who lives there and household expenses;
- All sources of income for you and your spouse, if applicable; and
- The amount of your resources, including bank account balances, vehicles, and other investments.
- You can view our disability starter kit at www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/disability_starter_kits.htm.
Remember, we are there when you might be faced with one of the hardest obstacles of your life. Social Security helps secure today and tomorrow with critical benefits for people with severe disabilities, not just during retirement. Learn more at www.socialsecurity.gov.