Social Security Administration employees will never threaten you for information, promise a benefit in exchange for personal information and money, or:
* Tell you that your Social Security number has been suspended;
* Demand an immediate payment;
* Ask you for credit or debit card numbers over the phone;
* Require a specific means of debt repayment;
* Demand that you pay a Social Security debt without the ability to appeal the amount you owe; or
* Promise a Social Security benefit approval or increase, in exchange for information or money.
Report the scam to our Office of the Inspector General at oig.ssa.gov.