×

Warning

JUser: :_load: Unable to load user with ID: 62

Local News

Shapiro,-David---ACLU-attorneyThe American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) said that that a staggering number of Caribbean and other immigrants are being sexually abused at United States federal detention centers. The ACLU said documents obtained from the federal government reveal that immigrants reported being sexually abused at the centers nearly 200 times since 2007.


“It confirmed my worst fears to see how widespread and nationwide this is. Just the sheer number of allegations really points to a systemic and widespread problem,” said David Shapiro, staff attorney with the ACLU National Prison Project.

h_boyd_libyaIt took the New York Times weeks to publish stories about the danger Black Africans faced in Libya. Thanks to early reports in the Black Star News and other publications, readers have been regularly informed of the "ethnic cleansing" in the country, mainly by the rebels.

Several accounts have claimed the Black Africans were mercenaries fighting alongside the loyalists and thereby were viewed as enemies. However, only those who were actually killed in combat with weapons supplied by the loyalists can be considered "enemy combatants."

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Congresswoman Yvette D. Clarke has re-introduced a bill in the Congress that will allow an estimated 55,000 Haitians, who already have approved immigration petitions, to join their relatives in the United States.

“As we approach the second anniversary of the january 12, 2010 earthquake, it is important that we continue to help the Haitian people move towards recovery,” said Clarke, the daughter of Jamaican immigrants, who represents the largely Caribbean 11th congressional District in Brooklyn in New York. As the U.S. representative for the second largest concentration of first and second generation Haitian immigrants (after Miami), I see firsthand how the evastation of this earthquake directly affects my constituency in the United States,” she told the Caribbean Media Corporation (CMC).

Jfk Bomb

BROOKLYN, New York – A United States District Court has sentenced a Guyana national to four years in prison for his role in a failed plot to blow up New York’s John F.Kennedy International Airport in 2008.

Donald Nero, 51, who testified against his co-conspirators, pleaded guilty in 2008 to conspiring to attack a public-transportation system.“I am actually, really, truly, very sorry for the part I played in the early stages of the plot on JFK,” Nero told U.S. District Judge Dora Irizarr before sentencing late last month.

Top