The 365 Food Drive began in January after the Broward County Board of County Commissioners asked that a yearlong food drive take place in order to meet the incredible increase in demand caused by the economic downturn.
All non-perishable food items, such as canned meat, vegetables and fruit, peanut butter, jelly or jam, soups, pasta and toiletries, are welcome at any time. Participants are also encouraged to watch for monthly announcements. In March, there is an emphasis on "green" items in recognition of St. Patrick's Day, such as canned green beans, asparagus, split-pea soup and other green items.
Residents are also reminded to take advantage of "buy one-get one free" offers from area grocery stores, by donating the second item to the 365 Food Drive.
To make donating easy, collection boxes are available at the Broward County Main Library and all branch libraries, as well as the following locations:
- Downtown Governmental Center, 115 S. Andrews Ave., Fort Lauderdale
- Government Center West, 1 N. University Drive, Plantation
- Main Courthouse, 201 S.E. Sixth St., Fort Lauderdale
- Midrise Building, 540 S.E. Third Avenue, Suite 300, Fort Lauderdale
- North Regional County Courthouse, 1600 W. Hillsboro Blvd., Deerfield Beach
- South Regional County Courthouse, 3550 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood
- West Regional County Courthouse, 100 N. Pine Island Road, Plantation
- Water and Wastewater Services, 2555 W. Copans Road, Pompano Beach
- Port Everglades, 1950 Eller Drive, Fort Lauderdale
- Aviation Department, 100 Aviation Blvd., Fort Lauderdale
- Child Care Licensing & Enforcement, 2995 N. Dixie Highway, Fort Lauderdale